Cabin crew, ready to go-go!

I had no idea what I was getting into when I answered the phone on my day off. My colleague at the other end sounded out of breath. I first thought that her rapid breathing was due to sinusitis that was taking a long time to heal, but the real reason turned out to be excitement.

“Listen; let’s do a flash mob at work, at the airport Crew Center!
“And by flash mob you mean an assembly of people in a public place, performing an unusual and often entirely pointless act for the purpose of entertainment, artistic expression or satire, and then dispersing immediately after it?” I asked to make sure I had heard her correctly. I noticed that my own breathing was getting rapid and shallow while my brain was saying yes. We would do it.

I then headed directly to the computer to hunt down people who would have the agreed day off. We hadn’t realized it at the time, but the chosen day happened to be National Failure Day in Finland. However, it was no accident that it was very easy to find open-minded crew willing to participate in this joint expression of good spirit.

By the evening, our breathing was symptomatic of hyperventilation and hysteria. I had got my daughter to choreograph a “disco for dummies” sequence of steps, and then driven straight to my friend’s house. After all, we had to make a training video for the participants’ Facebook group page. A living room, some music, two grown-ups, a video camera and lots of laughter resulted in material entirely unsuitable for publication. Naturally, we published it.

There were three of us at the next rehearsal, which, I’ll admit, wasn’t really a great percentage out of a team of more than twenty. We published another video for the missing participants. However, they were only physically absent, as their commitment to the cause was obvious in the comments they had written on the group’s wall.
“Hi, I’m in Hong Kong and therefore can’t make practice…Rehearsing on my own in the hotel room.”
“Greetings from Tampere! I’m training with my dog. He looks happy.”
“Vantaa signing off with morning practice completed; the children appear shocked.”
“How many times do we spin around? It’s hard in high heels. Try it!”

By the third and fourth rehearsals more than half of the team was present, and my breathing became steady again.

We were running out of time, but the goal was in sight.

Finally, we were all present at the dress rehearsal. At the right place, at the right
time, in the right outfit, and in the right mindset: a bit of fun and an element of surprise enhances wellbeing!

For example, like this:

Tags: , , ,

25 Responses to “Cabin crew, ready to go-go!”

1. Marjut Martin wrote on :

Thats was fun, relaxing and good example how to make your day a little special with your colleagues. I’m sure this dance will be remembered for long time. Prehaps ladies need to perform it again in X-mas party. :-)

2. Cabin Crew dance is making me want to fly Finnair more.

I love th video and it makes my day ….. thank-you Finnair.

Maybe the whole pilots , cabin crew should perform together at both crew centre and in-flight .

The flashmob is very funny video.

Thanks
    Edward

3. You have given me hope that there are airline that still require appearence, weight, and attractive. U.S. Airlines have forgotten those requirements. Thank you for the great looking uniforms. Being a “retired” Stewardess I love seeing this unity for fun.

Thank you for sharing.

4. Sharon Hornsby wrote on :

Have just seen this posted by a friend on Facebook….brilliant- brought a smile to my face….as ex cabin crew it made me miss the job so much…. lovely to be reminded of the fun and great people who do this job!
    Thank You.

5. You ladies all look great and very professional in this, with perfect uniforms! Best Finnair publicity I’ve seen ;-)
    Reminded me of so many fun moments as a Swissair crew-member and of many early morning briefings in your crew lounge in Helsinki. Happy landings and greetings from Andalucía!

6. Helena Kaartinen wrote on :

We are sitting at my home with my collegue, “mother of
    the idea”, and to be honest, we have tears in our eyes.
    And you probably guess, it`s not because we were sad.
    It`s because feeling touched of your comments.

Kiitos! Have a nice weekend! :)

Helena & crews

7. In the past 40 years I have flown a *lot*, all over the world, with a multitude of carriers; in my opinion, Finnair and BA cabin crew are the best by a long, long way.

And Finnair just took #1 place for this wonderful video. Thank you so much.

8. This is What It’s All About !!!!!! Love It, Love It, Love It….Thank you ladies for shedding light on how special we are as fun loving individuals and the sisterhood (and brotherhood) of being Flight Attendants. This video made my day…..I may be in St. Louis,Mo ……..but Finnair Rocks !!!!

9. Avon Barksdale wrote on :

Outstanding ! Earth,Wind & Fire are all-time favourites of mine and it was lovely to see the Finns getting down to it too. Music truly is the universal language, right ?!

Lovely and thanks.

10. I’m retired airline staff, incl Gulf Air, BMI, Okada, Lauda, Austrian, never flown Finnair (sorry), but decided today that you guys are my favourite airline.
    Love to Finland from
    Phil
    UK, but living in Vienna.

11. Helena Kaartinen wrote on :

Hey commentators, passengers and crew members of ours and others! :)

Music sure is the universal language and for sure the feeling is as well!

Thank you! And in not-so-universal language called Finnish, we say KIITOS!

12. Helena and the other girls at Finnair.

Thank you for putting together a really great feel good video clip. After a hard day at work I will sometimes watch this clip and it always puts a smile on my face.

Gerry Melbourne Australia