Rethinking quality

Quality is important to Finnair. Skytrax has ranked Finnair a 4-star airline, so we already are among the top airlines in the world. We are also a member of the oneworld alliance, selected as the leading quality airline alliance time and time again. The alliance only invites airlines of the highest level as members. There is a lot of talk about quality, but what exactly is quality?

One way of looking at quality is to assess it against customer expectations that can be either fulfilled, exceeded or left unfulfilled. The entire process of travelling by air consists of many different phases, so quality can be examined from several points of view.

We are so interested in the topic that our mission this autumn is to open an extensive discussion about quality with our customers – both current and potential ones. We are looking for four people who will fly to Finnair destinations during October and November and assess quality in the air, on the ground and at our destinations. We call these people Quality Hunters. The selected Quality Hunters will keep a blog about their experiences and share tips and photos at www.finnair.com/rethinkquality.

Participatory marketing is based on the concept that customers have the best and most interesting opinions about products and our services. This is why we want to hear your ideas and discuss issues that we could improve and provide you with even better quality service.

Those interested can also participate in other ways if travelling for two months is not an option. A weekly question will be published on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/finnair, and we hope to receive as many answers as possible. Our campaign will also include some provocative advertising that you may run into. The aim is to make people think about quality issues and to encourage them to discuss quality. Now is your chance to make a difference!

Antti Nieminen
Marketing Manager

Tags: , ,

12 Responses to “Rethinking quality”

1. I love this idea – I simply love it. I talk to many smaller brands today about how they can produce a brand centred value add for their PR team – and this from now on will be my example for effective strategy – reminds me a little of the ‘best job in the world’ ideas of yesteryear. Good luck with it all. Great work -Antti Nieminen – we should linkedin.

2. Quality Hunters. I would like to be one of them. 60 years ago I made my first flight in a Super Constellation. A marvellous experience. Nowadays all is faster and less adventurous. I’m curious to experience many different destinations in a relative short time. That is really a way to assess quality.

3. Edward Wong wrote on :

Always loved to travel the world and to experience the rethink qaulity to improve its passengers sigth seeings to culutre and other food and drink delights from many culture destinations from Asia-, Europe, Usa . Would love this job and love to experience the qaulifty feel of Finnair.

4. Martin J Tooley wrote on :

Dear Antti,

As a very frequent flier with others (Lufthansa, SAA, Brussels, KLM & Air France) and as an ex hotel inspector, I feel I might have the right qualities to assist you in discerning quality via participatory marketing.

I’m also free from 06 October for about two months……so please let me know how to apply to be a Quality Hunter!

With thanks & best regards,

Martin J Tooley, MSc
    Dual Australian & British nationality, currently based in the Netherlands.

5. I have been attempting for two days to submit an application to become a Quality Hunter. The application website will not upload the required photo or the required CV, and turns down my application as being incomplete. Is your site compatible with Safari 5.0.2 on Apple OS 10.6.4 Snow Leopard?

6. L.S.
    I hope my application is in? When I pressed the button “submit”, I was told that I had not sent my personal picture. But I did !
    Please, let me now if my application did not arrive!

Peter Tol

7. Upon learning about the Quality Hunter idea I fell in love & knew applying is a must for me. Unfortunately, the desk closed a few minutes before uploading my application.

I wish all four hunters chosen a great time of travel and Finnair overwhelming success in making a quality difference in the air, on the ground and at all its destinations.

Kerstin

8. Steve Fowler wrote on :

Flight AY938 MAN to Helsinki now delayed at least 2.5hours but no offer of assistance for its passengers. Not even a bottle of water. Ground staff have all left the gate so no one to discuss this with. I had booked BA but been bumped onto a One World Partner that doesn’t seem to care. Problems happen but keep people informed and look after your customers. Arrival in Helsinki after midnight so my very expensive hotel is 50% wasted znd business the next day will come after only 4-5 hours sleep. Seems like I’m just moaning but cleverly there is no one to complain to! Marks 2/10 in the hope that Finnair does eventually get us there!